Sunday, January 8, 2012

Big Boy Bed

 What? Was? I? Thinking? Carmen was just a little over two when we moved her to a toddler bed.  It really was quite uneventful.  She still acted like she was in the crib.  She would wake up in the morning and call for us to come get her.  She would not get out of the bed on her own, even after I explained many times that she could do so.  Life didn't change that much.  That's how it goes for all kids right? HA.  Miles "Wild Man" Calhoun had other plans.  That dude is up at all hours of the night.  Naps?  Why sleep when you can roam about the house?  

One day he kept popping out of his room at nap time.  I just kept putting him back in bed. Over and over.  Finally, I thought he was asleep.  I proceeded to put Isaac down for his nap.  I open the door and walk out in the hall.  Guess who is waiting for me? I put him back in his bed and walk downstairs to ponder 1)How to remain sane and 2)How I was going to get him to stay in his bed. I sat down on the couch and to my dismay I hear Isaac screaming.  I run back up to check on him and notice his door is open.  Yup.  Miles is in his room and lathering his lips with Vicks Babyrub.  I mean, half the jar was carelessly slathered around his mouth and oozing down his chin.  After a quick face wash and call to the Poison Control Center, I just gave up. 

Another day, I thought everyone was asleep or resting.  And then I hear a door slam. I hang my head in dread of seeing a little smirking boy standing in the hall.  But as I shuffle up the steps, I see nothing.  I notice Carmen's door is open....yet, I see no one.  Slightly panicked, I run around the house.  And then I get to our Master bathroom.  I see Miles standing outside of the toilet room spraying some Scrubbing Bubbles into the room.  I hear squealing and see Carmen sitting on the pot. The spray was going all over her. He must have seen Carmen get up and go to the bathroom.  He followed her in, climbed up on our sink and got the cleaner. He then commenced to spraying her with it while she was going to the bathroom and couldn't move.   

Part of me wants to grab some nails and a hammer and pound the front back on the crib so that it will never, never be removed.  He can just sleep in that crib forever.  But another side of me feels like maybe that would be regression.  Maybe in some unknown manner, we are getting somewhere.  Maybe he has to explore his freedom  before STAYS in his bed.  So for now, the toddler bed remains.  Lord give me strength. It's going to be another loooooong night.   

2 comments:

  1. Isabelle was a wanderer and still is to some degree which is why Ryan is still in a crib. It was awful. After asking the doctor, we put child safety handles anywhere possible to limit the wandering b/c she could really hurt herself. At times, after several warnings, we had to put it on the back of her door so she had to stay in her room. It wasn't pretty at first but only took about 2-3 nights and she understood that she couldn't wander around, then we took it off (she wasn't potty trained so that wasn't an issue). To this day, she still has issues with staying in bed. But, we learned some tricks. She has a flashlight and some books she can read to help her get sleepy as long as she stays in bed. Works great for her, hope you find what works for Miles. I totally feel your pain. It was a loooong transition but worth it now. She's very responsible (for a 3 yr. old) and enjoys her "independence."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete